Last Updated on November 7, 2022 by JaimeSays
My husband and I praise the Lord everyday for finding our dream suburban house before Coronavirus insanity took hold. Being stuck in a tiny apartment, in one of the many cities racked with constant unrest and violence..no thanks. I can only imagine the sort of mental distress I would be suffering. With many people avoiding air travel at the moment, the best city escapes are those within a comfortable driving distance. Depending on what city you call home, you may be looking for a city escape, to somewhere with more space, fewer people, and more interesting landscapes. Have no fear, as the inns, bed and breakfasts, and unique getaways operated by the small businesses and families of America are ready to welcome you with open arms!
Try A City Escape Away from: Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit
• Less than three hours away from Chicago, the Hotel Saugatauk in Saugatauk, Michigan is offering picnic add-ons to your stay. Along with the lakeside quiet, you can safely enjoy quality eats from the property while exploring the 1,000 acres of Saugatauk Dunes State Park. Have little ones? Check out these things to do with your family in Saugatauck.
• Maybe a Southwestern Michigan Glamping getaway is more your speed?
• On the other side of Michigan, along the shores of Lake Huron, consider Huron House. Not only does it have very strict COVID-19 protocols in place, it also offers picnic options for guests. With miles upon miles of birding opportunities in Oscoda township, packing food for a long day is particularly smart.
• For Midwesterners, the original social distance getaway is a trip to the Upper Peninsula. While Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Mackinac Island have a strong influx of tourists in the summer, other parts of the peninsula tend to be more quiet.
• Looking to see what all the fuss is about in Northern Michigan? Learn all about the life of Ernest Hemingway, explore mushroom houses, and enjoy wine from Michigan’s most recent AVA.
Try a City Escape Away from: NYC, New Jersey
• Caldwell House has been listed as one of the top 25 most romantic Bed and Breakfasts in America. Just a short drive from Storm King Art Center, Schunnemunk Mountain State Park, and Stewart State Forest, there is plenty of room to social distance. For the seventh year in a row, the inn will run its “Pie on the Pillow” campaign, treating guests to homemade pies each night with some of the best locally found ingredients. An hour away from the city to enjoy the changing colors of fall and homemade pie? This is what my dreams are made of, although, in my dreams, my waistline never changes.
• Another great option for a city escape away from NYC is heading to the Hudson Valley. Heck, it’s such a good getaway that Governor Cuomo is begging New Yorkers to leave it and return to the city! Consider getting a breath of fresh air and a dose of history by staying at The Beekman Inn, a Hudson Valley Inn operating since 1766!
• Never been to the Finger Lakes? It’s full of wineries and you can visit the beautiful Watkins Glen State Park. My dear friend Kristy Wenz wrote a great itinerary of outdoor experiences in the area.
Which city escape are you taking this year? Maybe you are lucky enough to really escape the city and visit Northern Idaho. Let me know in the comments!
- Finding the Right House and the Right Movers - February 6, 2023
- Free Things to do in Wisconsin: Tour Two Frank Lloyd Wright Designs - January 8, 2023
- Love Architecture Travel?13 Cities with Architecture Open Houses - November 14, 2022
- An Afternoon with Bodegas Salentein - October 20, 2022
- Fall Wardrobe Staples - October 13, 2022
- 5 Small Town Midwest Architecture Tours Worth Taking - September 9, 2022
- Things to Do This Month in Chicagoland! - September 1, 2022
- I Hired an Interior Designer and Was Disappointed - November 10, 2021
- Why I Didn’t Share My Pregnancy - September 18, 2021
Leave a Comment