Last Updated on October 22, 2022 by JaimeSays
When I was invited to participate in an informational Zoom with Travel Medford and Ashland, I had truthfully never heard of the towns. Located in the Rogue Valley, aka one of Oregon’s other wine regions, Midwesterners such as myself aren’t really familiar with area. I immediately signed up, and, lucky for me, I also received sample wines from one of the local wineries. That’s how I stumbled upon Awen Winecraft.
The Awen Winecraft Origin Story
The story of Awen Winecraft begins where many wine stories start: California. Two friends working in tech, Sean Hopkins and Tom Homewood spent their free time tinkering with home wine production. As many passion projects tend to, the desire and success of their side product eventually led to both gentleman relocating to Southern Oregon to try to make a living. And it worked. After five years in the area, Awen Winecraft began commercial production in 2016. Today, Sean and Tom credit the tutelage of local master winemakers for their success, and continue to hone their craft in the heart of Southern Oregon.
Awen Sangiovese 2017
One of my favorite red wines is Sangiovese. Maybe it’s my Italian blood, or that it’s light body means that it goes well with all of my favorite foods.
|Sight: Clear, Ruby Colored|
|Aroma: Cherry, a touch of tomato, and smoke|
|Taste: Dry with straightforward cherry and some vanilla, quick finish|
|Food Pairing Recommendation: Orichette with Hot Sausage|
At first sip, I knew this Albarino was a knock-out. I wasn’t wrong. This wine won a Double Gold medal from Oregon Wine Experience, as well as medals from three other wine competitions. This is a wine I could drink with lunch, chilled on a warm night, or after work.
|Sight: Clear, Pale Lemon, Not Many Legs|
|Aroma: Heavy perfume, Floral, and Tropical Fruit|
|Taste: Dry, Underripe mango, Bay leaf, Lime, Lemon Curd, High Acidity|
|Food Pairing Recommendation: Sitka Salmon Whitefish|
While Willamette may have the recognition, these wines from Awen Winecraft show that the Rogue Valley makes wines that are just as incredible. Consider picking one up next time you come across a bottle!
- Free Things to do in Wisconsin: Tour Two Frank Lloyd Wright Designs - January 8, 2023
- Love Architecture Travel?13 Cities with Architecture Open Houses - November 14, 2022
- An Afternoon with Bodegas Salentein - October 20, 2022
- Fall Wardrobe Staples - October 13, 2022
- 5 Small Town Midwest Architecture Tours Worth Taking - September 9, 2022
- Things to Do This Month in Chicagoland! - September 1, 2022
- I Hired an Interior Designer and Was Disappointed - November 10, 2021
- Why I Didn’t Share My Pregnancy - September 18, 2021
- Awesome Planters for Your Home - July 9, 2021