Last Updated on
It’s been 13 years since we all lived under the same roof, so we were a little nervous about shared living space. Making it an extended weekend and getting international packages for our phones allowed us to spend just enough time together. After our flights were booked, we couldn’t wait to check out where to stay in Montréal.
Earlier in the summer, my mom and I stayed in an Airbnb in Indianapolis because most of the hotels were out of our price range. While I had no issues with the Airbnb, I forgot that the needs of sexagenarian are decidedly different than mine. It didn’t matter if it was a new condo in downtown Montreal, I didn’t want to run the risk of her complaints from Indiana. She found the bed too soft, the bathroom too dark, and really didn’t like the scarcity of the coffee accoutrements. For this trip, I knew where to stay in a Montreal: it had to be in a hotel, and I had to be aware of our budget.
Room Details Alt Hotel Montréal
Ideal Griffintown Location
The location of the hotel can’t be beat. Griffintown is right on the Lachine canal, making Vieux-Montreal (the old port) a breeze to get to on foot. Although it is at the bottom of the hill, the views of the Five Roses factory and of the port are so peaceful and lovely to wake up to each morning. I would recommend staying in this area, and specifically at this hotel, over anything higher up the hill, or on the “mont” as it is called. Restaurants and cafés are no more than a five minute walk away, and Bixi bike rental stations are two blocks away in almost any direction. That was my favorite way to get around, and to discover so many things to do in Montreal.
Although the hotel is known to be “service-light,” the front desk and housekeeping staff were incredibly helpful. They took time to point out memorable spots on our map, and gave great restaurant recommendations. They were patient with my French speaking, and also explained things in English for my family. We had a late departure so the staff held our luggage and let us change our clothing and relax on the 7th floor lounge.
Latest posts by JaimeSays (see all)
- Ottawa's Winterlude Canada: What to Expect - January 20, 2020
- 5 Most Amazing Historic Villas to Visit in Tuscany - January 6, 2020
- Enjoying the Holidays With a Break! - December 30, 2019
- Quashing Imposter Syndrome Over100% Semillon with Château Climens - December 8, 2019
- Fast Facts I Learned from a Master Class on Simply Italian Great Wines: Asti Spumante, DOC delle Venezia, Franciacorta, Vino Nobile de Montepulciano, and Friuli - November 20, 2019
- Holiday Gift Guide for the Entrepreneur / Blogger / Wannabe Influencer in Your Life - November 12, 2019
- What to Wear for Holiday Parties : Tights - November 11, 2019
- Making Space with NewAir 177-Can Black Stainless Steel Deluxe Beverage Fridge - November 10, 2019
- My DuPage County Superlatives - November 6, 2019