Last Updated on July 19, 2023 by JaimeSays
Five years after its last appearance, the Spanish Trade Commission hosted this Spanish Food and Wine event in Chicago. Packed with regionally specific Spanish foods, wine seminars, and tastings of each, it was an ideal way to kick off wine events for this currently pregnant, part-time blogger. I may have to spit every drop, but I can eat (almost) all the food! And, considering Spanish wine is the area where I have the most room for growth, I was particularly thrilled to attend.
- Spain has the largest vineyard area of all major wine countries in the world: 2.38 Million Hectares account for 13% of all the worlds vineyards.
- Spain is the 3rd Largest Producer of Wine Globally. This is particularly significant because Spain has a high proportion of old growth vines, which produce smaller yields than younger vines.
- There are approximately 600 grape varieties in Spain but only about 20 varieties are used in commercial volume.
- 27% of the world’s organic vines are in Spain. Sustainability is a major theme in Spain.
- The Spanish Wine region of Murcia is known as the Garden of Europe
- Comprised of 3 Mediterranean Bioclimates
- Responsible for 11% of Spain’s Total Fruit Production
- Goats Rule in Murcia and most cheese from the region is Goats Cheese
- Monastrell drives Murcia wine production: 40% of all Monastrell vines are located in Murcia.
- Jumilla contains the world’s largest acreage of ungrafted vines. The term for this is Piè franco.
- 75% of Vineyards in Jumilla are Organic.
- The 9 Provinces of Castilla y León may be the source of the more recognizable wines of Spain: Rueda, Ribera del Duero, and of course, Rioja. It’s also the second leading region exporting the Spanish delicacy, Jamón ibérico.
- Wine is considered food in Spain, and thus is not taxed. It’s quality to price ratio is exquisite!
Many thanks to the Spanish Trade Commission for Hosting Me at this Event.
- The Chicago Return of Spanish Great Match Does Not Disappoint - July 18, 2023
- Finding the Right House and the Right Movers - February 6, 2023
- Free Things to do in Wisconsin: Tour Two Frank Lloyd Wright Designs - January 8, 2023
- Love Architecture Travel?13 Cities with Architecture Open Houses - November 14, 2022
- An Afternoon with Bodegas Salentein - October 20, 2022
- Fall Wardrobe Staples - October 13, 2022
- 5 Small Town Midwest Architecture Tours Worth Taking - September 9, 2022
- Things to Do This Month in Chicagoland! - September 1, 2022
- I Hired an Interior Designer and Was Disappointed - November 10, 2021